The Gift of Self-Care - 25 Things To Do Now For Self-Care
Many of us are living in a daily state of worry and anxiety about our world. Self-care is critical not only to protect your health as you navigate challenging times, but also so you can have the clarity, energy and focus you need for living fully in the present, to plan for your future and take the actions needed for the future you want beyond 2020. How we get through challenging periods matters for our long-term health and well-being.
So, what are you doing each day to take care of yourself? What toll might the worry and isolation be taking on your physical and mental health?
It just takes moments to take more loving care of ourselves and become more aware of the needs of our body and mind. I thought I’d brainstorm some ideas here and leave you to continue brainstorming ideas that make sense for you. These are all things we already know but it’s important to be reminded to do more for self-care now, especially as we enter the winter months.
1. Limit your intake of the news and information from the outside world. When you watch, read or listen to worry producing information, your brain and body go into a fight or flight response which releases stress hormones, impacts all your body functions and organs; ultimately, your immune system is negatively impacted from this stress.
2. Ask yourself “what loving thing can I do for myself today?”
3. Drink plenty of water.
4. Get up from your chair hourly for 5 minutes to stretch, walk or play with a pet (playing with my two kittens is my favorite these days).
5. Go outdoors for fresh air and sunshine every day, even several times a day.
6. Learn a breathing exercise and use it twice a day.
7. Find short meditations online.
8. Do Donna Eden’s 8 Minute Energy Routine to completely refresh and lift your energy Donna Eden's Daily Energy Routine [OFFICIAL VERSION] Donna Edens Energy Routine
9. Take up Yoga, Tai Chi or Qigong
10. Take warm baths with salts.
11. Add fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. Write down and track what you eat every day so you can notice where you want to add more fruits and veggies to your day.
12. Find an accountability buddy for your exercise plan. Having a buddy with whom to do them keeps you motivated and helps you succeed at your fitness goals.
13. Keep a journal and use it to express all those heavy thoughts and emotions; you will notice a weight lifted after doing this.
14. Create a list each day of all the things for which you are grateful.
15. Recommit to a spiritual practice
16. Read inspiring material, poems and books when you wake up in the morning and right before going to sleep at night.
17. Write encouraging messages and post them in places you will see them in your home, your car and wherever you spend most of your time.
18. Take quiet time for yourself to rest, read, listen to music, enjoy a hobby.
19. Reconnect with old friends and acquaintances. Most people still love receiving something hand-written in the mail!
20. Join a group: biking, hiking, cross country skiing, walking, reading, knitting.
21. Study a course on something you’ve wanted to learn.
22. Pick up an old hobby or a new one and pursue it.
23. Dance to music you love (Pharrell Williams Happy Song is my go-to song)
25. Say the OM sound for 2-3 minutes.
Take great care of your precious self.